Mafling in Berlin

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Where have all the people gone?

Yesterday evening I got free tickets to see the wonderfulMr Rattle in action with 200 singers, 200 dancers and an audience of 3000 performing Carmina Burana. It was quite something. Last time I saw him was when The Shark was playing in Birmingham? ( correct me if I'm wrong) and I remember thinking this Mr Rattle man had gorgeous hair and behaved like a dancer with over excited arms. His hair is still as curly but grey and he still has the same way of creating amazing music with his arms. The last time I heard the whole of Carmina was when I attempted the Gong solo and managed ( luckily for the dress rehearsal only to play it in every pause as opposed to after every pause). Thank goodness Mr Rattle wasn't there then. So yesterday evening was definitely a trip to the past and made me appreciate what a huge amount of work goes into an event like that. I enjoyed being a spectator and no longer a performer.
Yesterday 3000 people got together for one performance and today as I wandered around three different empty, huge museums, I wondered where all the people in Berlin are? How sad is a musical instrument museum with the biggest collection of instruments I have ever seen sitting in silence. No people except for the over vigilant security guards desperate to tell you not to touch and to keep quiet. Something feels wrong here and I can't quite work it out............

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home