Mafling in Berlin

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Mailand or Milan or Milano


Have spent the last few days in Milan and I can now honestly say that I am feeling more like a nomad than ever before and definately not feeling like a resident German. The Elf and I arrived at Schönefeld airport only to discover that the ticket I had booked for her was no where on the sysem. So what to do? Couldn't really leave a stranded seven year old Elf and hop onto a plane with the parting words 'Bye bye honey I am sure you can find your way home.' However the Elf being much more intelligent than myself decided perhaps that I had written the wrong reference number down. A Z is a 2 and the Elf says I need to work on my handwriting?
Since when has Milan been called Mailand? Well, always apparently in this country. Once more needed some help from the Elf to find out which destination to go for........
Milan is warm. Milan is full of the most gorgeous pasta one has ever tasted. Milan is full of Italian.........and oh I wish, I wish I was learning Italian instead of the big G.......but don't tell the F!
Italian fits my mouth better and my soul better. I can wave my arms around saying Ciao Bella, va bene, vorrei un taxi and everyone knows what I am talking about.
There is a wonderful market place in milan where you can have secret conversations from one corner to the other. The accoustics are such that one can stand and whisper into one corner and it can be heard by someone in the other corner. If you get what I mean? Had much fun with the Elf....

Words of the day: vin rosso, vin bianco, vin secco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home