Mafling in Berlin

Friday, January 19, 2007

Yesterday reading the morning Newspaper which stated " Hurricane heading across germany" I got ready to turn into Dorothy, get everyone inside, remove potential flying objects from balcony and find a good place to watch 'The Storm'. I have always loved storms ever since my Gran told me about her fear of them when she used to open the front and back doors to let the thunderbolt through and crawl under the concrete paving slab in her pantry. I have often wondered how and why she did this although she never did elaborate. I couldn't understand how anyone could not be excited by the noise, the lights, the wind; but then I have never known real weather fear such as a Tsunami or a Twister. Though neither had she.......though perhaps WW2 had something to do with it. If I had lived through such fear then I might have spent yesterday in our suitably equiped Deutsche cellar.
Instead, above ground I became quite fascinated and excited by the days events as parents were told to pick children up from school early and everyone was advised to stay in, don't delay, do not travel and WAIT. Even the so called 24 hour shop across the road started packing up at 4pm.......unheard of. So The Elf and I did just that and yes the trees did get a little windy although we waited in anticipation at the window for an extraordinary event to occur. One flash of lightning and all was quiet. How does one explain the concepts of Hurricanes to an 8 year old after that?
However this morning I am convinced that it just didn't visit our street as I read the papers about the destruction and chaos it caused, even here in Berlin. The biggest storm in Europe for 20 years.(mmmmmmm)
It is now well into the New Year and it is time for me to begin on one New year's resolution, ' To start analysing my Dad's 50 years of daily weather recordings' and not rely on unreliable German weather predictions for my excitement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home