Mafling in Berlin

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Thursday

Having spent the last couple of days at a decent language school with a good teacher I am well on the way to becoming fluent in the German language...........Not. The teacher, Detlef, looks and sounds a bit like Hugh Grant, with a German accent and I have begun to feel a bit sorry for him as he tries desperately to get anyone in our group to speak. Today I could stand it no more and shouted out all the answers, right or wrong, and I am now officially the class swot. Tomorrow I might even try standing on the table aswell. What can a girl do? From experience I know that there is nothing more demoralizing than a group of students looking at you as if you are the most boring teacher on the planet.
After class I was determined to try out my new phrase and went into the supermarket and asked if I could pay with my EC card. The woman at the checkout was convinced I wanted a special type of cheese even though I was waving my card in front of her face and she wouldn't let me leave without some Manchego? Since when has Manchego or Käse for that matter sounded like credit card? Finally it clicked ( for her....) Much hysterics and repetition of the word "Klar" followed and she finally allowed me to leave with some unwanted cheese and a headache. Is my accent really so bad or was she from Mars?
Home now and must do extra homework. Now in the difficult position of having to live up to my new image.
Word of the day:kauffrau

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home