Mafling in Berlin

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Lollipop Kids

Decided this week that it is time to embrace the whole living in Germany experience. Need to learn German ( obviously), eat sausages and continue to try my hand at driving on the other side of the road. Having passed my test 20 years ago and not driven since except for on a very quiet straight road in New Zealand I am terrified and I must admit have been putting it off. I am after all driving a big English left hand drive car and have often been doing so in the school rush hour. Children, bicycles and cars parked all over the place, very narrow streets, roadworks, Mr F in the seat next to me and me feeling like I've done a days workout at the gym, sweating buckets and swearing I will never get back in the car again. That was three weeks ago so is time to have another go? Tomorrow, or tomorrow, or tomorrow.
In Berlin you don't get those lovely jolly lollipop ladies ( remember them?). Instead you get very efficient looking seven year olds from the local schools who run into the road and shout at all the drivers and pedestrians........Frei.......Nicht Frei and anyone who dares park in the school bus lane gets a real bollocking. So, off to brush up on the German guide to road signs......

Word of the day: Halt!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home